There are many online educational sites. What are the pros/cons of online learning for gifted students?
The Institute for Educational Advancement published an article last year entitles, “Online learning for gifted students is an idea whose time has come”. Reasons for that include:
• The gifted student’s ability to choose from a myriad of advanced courses not available at the students’ own schools or via home-schooling.
• Online learning offers more personalized learning, especially since the evolution of online learning has come to include more and more interaction between teacher and student than has been traditional, and
• Online learning can happen at a faster pace than traditional classroom learning.
An article in Education Week in October 2016 explores the five ways gifted students learn differently from their peers:
1. They learn new material much more quickly.
2. They have a better ability to remember what they have learned, which reduces or eliminates the need for review.
3. They have ability for abstract or complex thinking that their peers do not have.
4. They become focused on specific topics and are very passionate about them to the exclusion of other topics and subjects.
5. They can take in many stimuli at once, knowing what is going on around them while concentrating on a specific task.
With this characterization, it’s easy to see why gifted students are great candidates for online learning. Exposure to multiple ways of learning and multiple ways of challenging them can be more engaging for gifted students.
• The Institute for Educational Advancement
• Education Week